It is November but because I live in South Carolina the weather is just now starting to get chilly. I love it! Colder weather means snuggling up with some hot chocolate and reading, well, unless you have crazy kids running around. 😛 The change in weather also means soups and warm desserts! What’s better than having a warm cookie while sitting by the fire? Probably nothing. Seriously! Cookies are an absolute favorite of mine, especially anything chocolate!
This dessert recipe is a HUGE cookie with a bunch of ooey gooey chocolate and sweet cherries! YUM! It’s basically one of those chocolate covered cherries in cookie form. I’m getting hungry just looking at it! No one can resist a homemade cookie, especially not me, and this one has homemade icing too! Added bonus, the cookie and frosting recipes are both easy to make, which makes baking homemade desserts much more manageable!
I LOVE that this recipe is cooked in a cast iron skillet! Even though they are making a recent comeback, cast irons are so underrated! They truly are an amazing piece of cookware and will last practically forever! Doesn’t the dessert look so scrumptious in this cast iron skillet? All I can think about is how warm and melty it is! (Is melty even a word, lol, I guess it is now!)
The cherries add a pretty pop of color, too! Maraschino cherries are amazing. As a kid, my mom would let me have her cherry if she ordered a drink at a restaurant. I would always end up with a whole bowl! 😉 They just tasted soooo good!
Well don’t just look at it! Get out your cast iron and whip one up! Also, bring me some please! 😛 Yummy!
Thanks for reading!
- ¾ C unsalted butter, cold
- ¾ C sugar
- ¾ C brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 eggs, beaten (room temp)
- ½ C Ghirardelli dark chocolate cocoa
- 1 ¾ C flour
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 C Ghirardelli chocolate wafers
- ½ jar maraschino cherries, chopped
- 1 C unsalted butter, room temp
- 5 C powdered sugar
- 5 TBSP Ghirardelli dark cocoa
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 5 TBSP heavy cream
- ½ jar of maraschino cherries, chopped (Leave enough whole to decorate the edges of the cookie)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prep 10 inch cast iron skillet with baking spray.
- Cut cold butter into cubes. Add the butter cubes to the skillet melting butter over low- medium heat.
- After the butter has melted, add both sugars and vanilla. Stirring as you add. Set aside to cool for at least 5 minutes.
- After the butter and sugars mixture has cooled add the eggs, stirring well.
- In a bowl combine the cocoa, flour, baking soda and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients (listed above) to the sugar mixture, stirring until combined.
- Pour in the chocolate wafers, stirring until added. Add the chopped cherries.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Do not over bake.
- Set aside for 30 minutes to cool.
- Add butter and powdered sugar together. Cream until light and fluffy on medium speed.
- Stir in the cocoa powder and vanilla.
- Check to see if the frosting can hold a peak. If not add a tablespoon of powdered sugar at a time until it can hold one. If the frosting is too stiff add a tablespoon of heavy cream to thin it out.
- Spoon the frosting into a pastry bag with a star tip around the edge of the cookie.
- Place the whole maraschino cherries on top of the frosted edge of the cookie.