Happy New Year, everyone! I know, I know. I am a little late, but it is because 2017 has been off to a crazy start! First off, my husband and I are trying to buy a house! What what! I am super excited but also pretty nervous. This is both of our first experience buying a house, so it should be interesting to say the least.
Since 2017 has already proven to be a busy year, I want to tell you about a delicious meal idea for your family that is super easy! If you are like me, you love throwing stuff in your crock pot, especially meat! (Yay for barely having to touch raw chicken!) My cheesy chicken and salsa enchiladas are not only easy but they are sooo good.
I came up with this dish because I love Mexican food but I get so tired of tacos. Enchiladas turned out to be just what I was looking for. Since I use salsa instead of a traditional enchilada sauce, I get to just throw together stuff I already have in the pantry and fridge. Easy + cheap + mouth-watering Mexican food, what more could you want? 😛
I love to top it with my favorite taco toppings! Usually I put sour cream, cilantro, and avocado but you can add whatever you want. I only had avocado in my fridge the last time I made it so that’s all I topped it with and it was amazing! Oh the joy a perfectly ripe avocado can bring! 🙂
All you have to do is cook the chicken in the crock pot and when it is done, you shred it up. Then, you fill soft tortilla shells with the chicken and put them in a casserole dish. Next, you top with salsa and cheese and pop it into the oven. Add your toppings and boom, you’re done!
Without further ado, I give you my yummy, cheesy chicken and salsa enchilada recipe! I hope you enjoy it as much as my family does! If you give it a try, let me know what you think in the comments and don’t forget to subscribe to my page to keep up with all of my new delicious recipes!
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 packet of taco seasoning
- 1 clove garlic cut in half
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 of an onion, diced
- About 1 1/2 cups of salsa
- 4 ounces of cream cheese
- 6 or 7 soft tortilla shells
- 1 cup grated pepper jack cheese (could substitute cheddar)
- Put chicken in a crock pot with taco seasoning dissolved in water, garlic, onion, and 1 tbs salsa. Cook for about 6-8 hours on low or 4-5 on high.
- About an hour before the chicken is done add cream cheese. Continue cooking.
- Shred chicken in crock pot.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Take a casserole dish and cover bottom with about 2 tbs salsa (just enough to wet the bottom.)
- Fill tortilla shells with chicken, wrap, and put them into the casserole dish.
- Pour any remaining chicken mixture on top (if there is any left) then pour on remaining salsa. Make sure the tortillas are covered evenly. Add grated cheese on top.
- Bake 20 minutes.
- Serve with your favorite taco toppings.