I’m pretty sure Christmas is the best holiday ever! For some reason, it seems like people are a little more cheerful, the landscape is a little more beautiful, and the world is a little more peaceful. It’s definitely my favorite time of year!
Last year, my husband and I celebrated our first married Christmas! It was fun picking out our tree, putting up our decorations, waking up together on Christmas morning, and opening gifts in our apartment. It was so special and one of my favorite firsts as a married couple! I can’t wait to do it all again this year! Since we didn’t have any decorations, we basically had to start from scratch. It was exciting picking out new things but also pretty pricey. Thankfully, this year we have some decorations saved up. We plan on adding a little bit more every year, too, instead of buying everything all at once. Plus, it seems like I get a new ornament from someone random each year! 😛
One way to save on Christmas decorations is to make your own! It’s also a great way to add your own personal touch to your collection. When my husband and I went to pick out our tree last year, I asked the tree salesman if I could keep a slice of the trunk (they cut off the bottom anyways.) I ended up saving it so I could make something special to remember our first married Christmas together! What better way to preserve a memory than through an ornament? There is none when it comes to Christmas and I just love using wood as a decoration! Other than being cheap by re-purposing part of the tree, it is also so pretty! The best part of wood are the natural lines that make every piece so unique! It especially goes well with snowy Christmas time.
The ornament I made is so easy and doesn’t really use many materials. The most important thing you need is creativity! Since I wanted it as a memory ornament, I wrote “Our first Christmas tree” but there are endless possibilities. You could write words like I did or you could draw a picture or a pattern. Just do whatever makes you happy! 🙂 This is your imagination’s time to shine… lol okay it’s not that serious. I’m just so excited about my new ornament! In fact, I love it so much I might make it a tradition by making one out of our tree every year.
This year, when you pick out your Christmas tree don’t forget to keep a slice of it so you can have a special ornament too! I’m sure it will be one of your favorites to trim the tree with. 🙂
Thanks for reading and MERRY CHRISTMAS!
What you need:
- wood (I used a slice of the trunk from my Christmas tree)
- acrylic sealer spray (I used gloss)
- eye hook screw
- permanent or paint markers
- Use the sandpaper to sand the front and back of your piece of wood until it is smooth. Sand a little around the edges. Don’t over sand it or it will lose the beautiful details of the wood.
- Draw or write whatever you want on your ornament. Be creative! I used the trunk of our first Christmas tree as an “our first tree” ornament.
- Spray the acrylic spray on the front of the ornament OUTSIDE (it is very strong.) Let it dry and add another coat. Repeat for the back of the ornament.
- When it is completely dry, make a small hole in the top of the wood with a nail. Then, screw the eye hook into the hole.
- Tie a ribbon around the eye hook to hang the ornament.
- Hang your beautiful and creative new ornament on your Christmas tree!