I don’t know about you, but I have very oily hair! I will wash it one day and it will already be very oily the next. Sometimes it even gets oily the same day I wash it! When I was in middle/high school, I would put baby powder in my hair just to make my wash last another day. (Everyone did this, right?) Then, I heard about dry shampoo. I was so excited about a product that would keep my hair from looking oily! Plus, we always hear it’s not good to wash your hair everyday, and who has time to anyways?
If you have to use as much as I do, dry shampoo can get very expensive, so I learned how to make my own! 🙂 This a very simple recipe made from things you probably already have in your home! All you have to do is mix cornstarch and baking soda together to make a simple dry shampoo. The cornstarch is to absorb the oils in your hair while the baking soda eliminates any smells.
There are a lot of ways to jazz it up, too! If you have darker hair, you can substitute some of the cornstarch with unsweetened cocoa powder. My hair is pretty dark, but I skip this step if I don’t have the cocoa powder on-hand, and it still rubs in well. Another option is to add some essential oil to the mixture to add a nice perfume. 🙂 I don’t add the oil because my hair makes a lot of oil already.
When I’ve added all of the ingredients together, I like to put the mixture into a cute jar and add some yarn! This time, I used an empty Italian dressing jar, so I made sure to wash it out really well. Lastly, I added a bow made out of yarn to make it pretty! 🙂
Are you ready to try this awesome, easy, and inexpensive DIY dry shampoo? Here are the instructions!
- 3/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2-3 drops of essential oil (optional)
- Measure out cornstarch and add the baking soda to the cornstarch. (If you want to add cocoa powder instead, mix 1/2 cup cornstarch and 1/4 cup cocoa powder to 2 tsp baking soda)
- Add essential oil to the mixture and stir well.
- Put the dry shampoo in a jar and dress it up if you would like!
- When you need to freshen up your hair, pour a little dry shampoo into your palm and rub into your roots.
- Enjoy, you look fabulous! 😉